Try This Sticky Beef & Rice Bowl Recipe From Reboot With Kayla
Photograph by William Meppem © Penguin Random House Australia
If you’re a fan of nourishing, delicious, feel-good recipes that won’t take you long to prepare, you’ll love this sticky beef and rice bowl. This dairy and nut-free meal is a great dinner option on a busy night and will take just 40 minutes to prepare.
Every bite is the perfect blend of spicy and sweet thanks to the honey and chilli flakes, and it’s so easy to make this simple meal look like it’s restaurant-quality when it’s so colourful and fresh. We love adding an egg on top for some extra protein and to really bring the meal together.
Sticky beef and rice bowl recipePrep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 60g brown rice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 red capsicum, julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 160g snow peas, trimmed
- 170g lean beef, sliced into strips
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, sliced diagnolly
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- Place the rice and ½ cup (125ml) water in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from the heat and leave to stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the sticky sweet chilli sauce, whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Heat the sesame oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the capsicum, carrot and snow peas and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until tender-crisp. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Reheat the pan over high heat. Add the beef strips and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until browned and cooked to your liking. Pour over the sauce, allowing it to coat the beef. For extra saucy beef, add ¼ cup water to the pan. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened, stirring frequently, then sprinkle over some sesame seeds. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to rest.
- Wipe the pan clean and reheat over medium heat. Crack the eggs into the pan and cook them for 1-2 minutes or until the whites are opaque and the yolk is set to your liking.
- To serve, place the rice into a serving bowl and top with the sticky beef, capsicum, carrot, snow peas, avocado and egg. Garnish with spring onion and fresh chilli.
Find more feel-good recipes in Reboot with Kayla
Reboot with Kayla, the new book from Kayla Itsines and Sweat, is more than just a workout plan or journal. It’s a toolkit for success. And we know that food and nutrition plays an important role in every reboot journey. That’s why Kayla Itsines and the Sweat team have handpicked more than 30 delicious and nutritious recipes so you can find nutrient-rich meal ideas and take the guesswork out of finding food options you’ll ACTUALLY enjoy.
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.