Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie Recipe
We all have days when only a comfort food dish will hit the spot.
The good news? Comfort food can be part of eating healthy! This Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie Recipe is a nutritious take on a comfort food favourite.
Packed with lentils and vegetables, this is a recipe that you can adapt to suit a vegan diet, or double quantities if you’d like to serve it as a family meal.
Healthy Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
2 medium potatoes
1 large onion
2 Garlic cloves
2 medium carrots
60g (2 oz)mushroom
160g (5.5 oz) tinned crushed tomatoes
250ml (8.5 fl oz) salt-reduced vegetable stock
460g (16 oz) canned lentils
40g cheddar or calcium-fortified non-dairy cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/370F (170C/340F fan-forced) and lightly spray a medium-sized pie or oven dish with oil spray.
2. Place the potato in a saucepan. Add enough cold water to almost cover and bring to the boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and return the potato to the saucepan. Using a potato masher, mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Place in a heat-proof bowl and cover with aluminium foil.
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent, stirring frequently.
4. Add the carrot and mushrooms and cook for a further 4-5 minutes. Then add the tomatoes, stock, lentils and thyme. Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring gently. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Pour the lentil mixture into the prepared pie or oven dish and spread the mashed potato evenly over the top. Sprinkle over the grated cheese.
6. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
7. To serve, place the Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie on a serving plate and enjoy!
Planning your meals can keep you on track
If you’re committed to your health and fitness goals, a little planning can go a long way.
Just as you might schedule your workouts, putting time in your diary to meal plan, shop and cook food can make it easier to stick with healthy eating.
Meal prep is another way to make sure you’ve got nutritious food available, even on the days you’re feeling time-poor. This Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie can be frozen for reheating — just allow it to cool and then cover with wrap or place in a freezer bag and put in your freezer. It will keep for a couple of months, and will be ready to enjoy whenever you want a healthy comfort meal!
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.