Vegan Chilli Recipe
If you’re looking to get enough protein in your diet, you don’t need to turn to protein powders.
When you eat a healthy, balanced diet, you should be able to get all the macronutrients — carbohydrates, proteins and fats — from your meals and snacks.
This Vegan Chilli is a great source of protein, and it’s packed with vegetables so it’s really tasty. It’s also easy to make — this recipe is for two, but you can double it if you want to cook a family meal.
Hearty Vegan Chilli Recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
300g (10 ½ oz) pumpkin or sweet potato
3 tsp olive oil
1 large brown onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large zucchini
1 medium red or yellow capsicum (bell pepper)
300g (10 ½ oz) tinned crushed tomatoes
120ml (4 fl oz) salt-reduced vegetable stock
460g (16 oz) tinned black beans
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
Ground black pepper
40g (1.5 oz) non-dairy cheese (optional)
Fresh coriander (cilantro)
1. Fill a saucepan with water until 5cm (2 in) deep and insert a steamer basket. Cover with a lid and bring the water to the boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium. Add the pumpkin and steam, covered, for 7-8 minutes. The pumpkin will finish cooking in the later steps.
2. Place half of the pumpkin in a small bowl and roughly mash with a fork.
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, zucchini and capsicum and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the mashed pumpkin, pumpkin pieces, tomatoes, stock and black beans. Add the cumin and chilli powder and stir well.
5. Bring the chilli mix to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. If the mixture is too thick, add 1 tbsp water at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
6. To serve, place the Vegan Chilli in a serving bowl and top with cheese and coriander (cilantro). Enjoy!
Try this dish for a serve of plant-based protein
If you’re looking to try more vegan or vegetarian meals, this recipe is a great option.
There are lots of plant-based sources of protein you can add to meals so you are still meeting your nutritional needs — you could try swapping the black beans in this dish for different legumes, tofu or tempeh.
If you want an alternative to vegan cheese, you could top with guacamole instead — it’s a delicious vegan option that matches the flavours of the chilli.
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.