Sweet Potato Toast Toppings
If you haven’t tried sweet potato toast yet, you are seriously missing out! We can definitely get behind the idea of eating vegetables for breakfast, especially when the recipe is this tasty and versatile. And if you’re a bit obsessed with all things sweet potato, you need to get your hands on this recipe, as well as this Black Bean, Sweet Potato and Corn Hash.
Our Sweet Potato Toast with Zucchini and Cannellini Bean Salad is fantastic for enjoying at brunch! You will probably want to savour the deliciousness while catching up with a friend, reading a good book or simply taking some time out.
Sweet Potato Toast with Zucchini and Cannellini Bean Salad
Dietary Preferences: Vegan
- 2 tsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tsp capers, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium zucchini
- 200g tinned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1 large sweet potato
1. Whisk the oregano, mint, dill, capers, lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil together in a medium bowl. Add the cannellini beans and stir until well combined.
2. Using a potato peeler, peel the zucchini into ribbons. Add the ribbons to the bowl with the cannellini beans and toss gently to combine. Ensure that the zucchini ribbons are separated and well coated in the dressing. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
3. Wash and dry the sweet potato. Cut the sweet potato lengthways into slices about 1cm thick. Trim the ends a little, if necessary, so the slices can fit in your toaster. Toast to your liking (these took four toasting cycles).
4. To serve, divide the toasted sweet potato over two serving plates. Top with the zucchini and cannellini bean salad and scatter over the toasted pine nuts.
Other ideas for sweet potato toast toppings
For any of our SWEAT readers who like to play around with different recipe variations, we also wanted to share some bonus ideas for sweet potato toast toppers!
Once you’ve got the hang of ‘toasting’ the sweet potato slices, you might like to top them with:
- Smashed avocado, wilted spinach and poached egg
- Hummus, sliced tomato and sprouts
- Nut butter, sliced fresh fruit and a sprinkle of cinnamon, nuts and seeds.
Sweet potato works well with either sweet or savoury toppings, so feel free to get creative. We’d love to hear (or see!) some of your favourite combinations too. Feel free to tag @sweat in your photos!
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.