30-Minute Shrimp Fajitas Recipe
With summer in full swing in the northern hemisphere, you want to spend more time outdoors and entertaining friends! Having plenty of quick and healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner options ready to go during summer means less time in the kitchen and more time to enjoy the great weather. One meal that could easily become a dinner favourite is this easy shrimp fajita recipe!
This recipe has been made healthier by baking instead of pan-frying the shrimp to reduce the amount of oil used. We love shrimp as a summertime protein source because you can often buy it fresh.
Shrimp is rich in iodine, a nutrient that plays an important role in regulating your thyroid hormones. It also contains selenium and antioxidants that help to reduce inflammation and improve heart health.
You can make this Mexican-inspired meal in under 30 minutes.
Easy Shrimp Fajitas Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Dietary Preferences: Pescetarian, Gluten-free option
- 12 shrimp (raw prawns), deveined, tails removed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 medium red capsicum (bell pepper), thinly sliced
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ jalapeño, thinly sliced (optional)
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 mini wholemeal tortillas or gluten-free tortillas
- 1 large handful shredded red cabbage, to serve
- 1 medium avocado, sliced, to serve
- 4 tinned peach halves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium lime, juiced, to serve
- 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream, to serve
- chopped fresh coriander (cilantro), to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the shrimp, ground spices, capsicum, red onion and jalapeño, if using, in a large bowl. Toss to coat and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Wrap the tortillas in foil and place them in one corner of the baking tray. Spread the shrimp mixture in a single layer over the remaining area.
4. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, turning the shrimp halfway through the cooking time.
5. To serve the Easy Shrimp Fajitas, place the warm tortillas on serving plates. Top with the shredded cabbage, avocado, sliced peach and shrimp mixture. Squeeze over lime juice and garnish with sour cream and fresh coriander. Enjoy!
Tips for preparing shrimp fajitas
When the shrimp is cooked properly, the outside should appear pink and the flesh slightly opaque and a little white in colour. If the shrimp turn bright white they could be overcooked. Also, remember that adding the jalapeno is optional! Include it if you want to make these shrimp fajitas spicy.
We’ve suggested using tinned peaches in this recipe, but you can definitely use fresh peaches too! This recipe really makes the most of fresh summer foods like avocado toast, combined with healthy wholegrain tortillas for a balanced meal. For a gluten-free variation just use gluten-free tortillas instead. You can also try using greek yoghurt in place of the sour cream.
This recipe makes a great addition to your weekly meal plan. It’s a good idea to plan your meals ahead when you know that you’re going to be really busy. That way, you can be confident that you’ll be eating food that’s delicious and healthy rather than being tempted to get takeout.
Bake these sheet-pan shrimp tortillas for your friends and family!
This Mexican recipe is easy to double or quadruple to feed a crowd when you’re entertaining through the summer. When making these fajitas, this Chocolate Tahini Banana Nice Cream is a yummy healthy dessert option.
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.