Healthy Flourless Chocolate Cake
Valentine’s Day takes on different meanings to all of us. It might mean showering your special someone with love, spending the night hanging out with girlfriends, or simply choosing to treat yourself to an evening of self-care.
At the heart of this day, if you do choose to celebrate it, it’s about showing those closest to you that you love them. What better way is there to do that than with healthy baked treats?!
Whatever your choice of activity this Valentine’s Day, this healthy flourless chocolate cake is one recipe you should try out. It makes 10-12 slices, so it’s great to share. Plus it is gluten-free and dairy-free, which means you can make it for any loved ones who have these dietary preferences.
What’s even better is that it’s made with only wholesome ingredients, so if you’re taking part in Sweat’s 12 Week Challenge, it’s a great healthy dessert alternative to help you and your loved ones stay on track with your healthy eating goals.
Alternatively, you could also bake this flourless chocolate cake to keep on hand as a healthy dessert for yourself — after making it and dividing it up into slices, simply store away a few slices for the week ahead, then place the rest of the slices into airtight containers and freeze them to keep as a future sweet treat!
Flourless Chocolate Cake
Prep time: 15 minutes + 30 minutes soaking time Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 45 minutes + 30 minutes soaking time
Serves: 1 cake or 10-12 slices
Dietary Preferences: Gluten-free, Dairy-free
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 125g dark unsweetened chocolate pieces (70% cocoa is good), melted
- 40g coconut oil
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60g (½ cup) almond flour
- 25g cacao powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
Topping ideas (optional)
- Fresh strawberries
- Mixed berries.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F) and line a 20cm round springform pan with baking paper.
2. Place the dates in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak for 30 minutes to soften. Drain well.
3. Place the dates, egg yolks and vanilla in a food processor and process until well combined and smooth.
4. Break the chocolate into pieces. Place the chocolate pieces and coconut oil in a medium saucepan and melt over a low heat, stirring constantly. Allow to cool slightly.
5. Place the dates, egg yolks and vanilla in a food processor and process until well combined and smooth.
6. Place the almond flour, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the date mixture and melted chocolate mixture and mix until well combined.
7. Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff.
8. Add ¼ of the beaten egg white to the chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites, being careful not to over mix.
9. Carefully pour the chocolate mixture into the prepared springform pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before removing from the pan and transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
10. To serve, slice the flourless chocolate cake and serve with fresh strawberries or mixed berries, if desired. Enjoy!
Show your love with this flourless chocolate cake
This flourless chocolate cake is the perfect healthy dessert recipe to share with loved ones — not just on Valentine’s Day but on any occasion!
Because the sweetness of this flourless chocolate cake comes from the dates and chocolate, it means you can alter the recipe slightly to suit your own dietary preferences. Simply choose a type of chocolate that suits your taste and your own health goals.
If you or your loved ones are trying to cut back on refined sugar, try to use chocolate that has a high percentage of cocoa in it. Generally, the higher the percentage of cocoa, or the more cocoa-dense the chocolate is, the less likely that chocolate will contain a lot of refined sugar.
If you love chocolate recipes like this flourless chocolate cake, we’d love to hear what other healthy chocolate dessert recipes you would us to share with you! Let us know in the comments below. Happy baking!
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.