Frittata With Asparagus, Tomatoes And Caramelised Onions
I have found one of the best things I can do when I’m in the middle of a really busy period is to care for myself as well as I can. That means not skipping workouts and making sure I eat well so that my body has lots of energy to get through busy days.
That’s where this tasty frittata recipe comes in! It makes 8 servings, which means it can be made for a weekend brunch to share with family or friends, or you can make it for breakfast and keep the leftovers for lunch, a light dinner or a snack.
The other great thing about my frittata recipe is I have added in some extra vegetables. That means you get plenty of extra nutrients and lots of flavour! I’ve included caramelised onion (yummy!), tomato and asparagus in this frittata because this combination not only tastes great, it also helps to support some of your body’s natural processes too.
Did you know that asparagus is rich in potassium? It can be helpful to reduce bloating because it can counteract salty food, making it easier to balance the fluid levels in your body.
This recipe for Asparagus, Tomato and Caramelised Onion Frittata is definitely one you will want to bookmark!
Asparagus, Tomato And Caramelised Onion Frittata Recipe
What could be better than a nice fluffy frittata to share with friends or family?
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Gluten-free
- oil spray
- ¼ medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 8 large eggs
- 100g low-fat ricotta cheese
- 125ml low-fat milk
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste.
- 8 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 10 semi-dried tomatoes
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (356 °F). Lightly spray a 20cm-diameter ovenproof fry pan with oil spray.
2. To caramelise the onion, heat the ovenproof fry pan over low heat. Add the onion and cook slowly for 15-20 minutes or until soft and golden, stirring occasionally. Add the vinegar and honey and cook for a further 5-10 minutes or until sticky and caramelised, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
3. Whisk the eggs, ricotta, milk and garlic together in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Wipe the ovenproof fry pan clean, spray lightly with oil spray and reheat over medium-low heat. Pour in the egg mixture and swirl to cover the base of the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the edges start to brown, gently stirring occasionally.
5. Top the egg with the asparagus, caramelised onion and semi-dried tomatoes and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the egg has just set.
6. To serve the asparagus, tomato and caramelised onion frittata, slice into 8 pieces and place onto serving plates. Enjoy!
Frittata is such a versatile dish, especially when you can either make it ahead of time or make it right before you want to enjoy it.
Test out my frittata recipe this weekend!
Try out this yummy frittata recipe next time you have a day off — it makes a delicious brunch that is super filling as well. You can also serve it with a simple salad, like a traditional Greek Salad, if you want to make it a bigger meal.
Let me know in the comments if you make this, I’d love to know what you think!
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.