Side Plank & Rotation
How to: Side Plank & Rotation
Primary Muscles Used:Abs, Obliques
Exercise Families:Trunk Rotation
- Start by lying lengthways along a yoga mat. Place your right forearm firmly on the floor, ensuring that your elbow is directly below your shoulder and that your forearm is parallel to (in line with) the short edge of your mat.
- Extend both legs and, using your obliques, gently raise your hips off the mat. Position your feet one on top of each other or place your left foot on the mat in front of your right — whichever is most comfortable. Gently draw your ribs to your hips to engage your core. This is your starting position.
- Maintaining balance on your right arm, slowly rotate your torso to open your chest and point your left hand towards the ceiling while maintaining a neutral spine and keeping your core engaged. Lower your hand to rotate towards the ground and reach your left hand under your torso towards the back edge of your mat. Unwind your torso to open your chest and point your left hand towards the ceiling again. You should feel tension in the back of your shoulder and core throughout this movement.
- Complete half of the specified repetitions or amount of time on the same side, before completing the remaining repetitions or time on the other side.
Alternative Exercises for No Equipment
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.