Barbell Clean & Press
How to: Barbell Clean & Press
- Holding a barbell with both hands in an overhand grip (palms facing towards you), plant both feet on the floor slightly further than shoulder-width apart. Draw your shoulder blades down and back to push your chest out slightly. This is your starting position.
- Inhale. While maintaining a slight bend in your knees, hinge forward from your hips and allow the bar to run along the length of your thighs. You should feel tension in your hamstrings (back of your legs). Ensure that you maintain a proud chest and that your head is an extension of your spine.
- As you reach halfway down your shins, exhale. Push through your heels and, using your glutes and hamstrings, quickly extend your hips to return to the starting position. At the same time, bend and elevate your elbows to raise the bar to approximately chin height before rotating your elbows around and under the bar. Ensure that the bar remains in close contact with your body through this portion of the movement. You should now be in a neutral standing position holding the barbell directly below your chin with palms facing away from you.
- Inhale. Bend your knees slightly. Exhale. Extend your knees and, using the muscles in your shoulders and arms, extend your elbows to press the barbell directly above your head. Your arms should be in line with your ears on either side of your head.
- Inhale. Bend your elbows to lower the barbell down towards your chest. Rotate your elbows around and over the bar and extend your arms to return to the starting position. Repeat for the specified number of repetitions.
Alternative Exercises for Shoulders
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.