Superfood Energy Bites
So considering I live in LA, I'm lucky enough to be exposed to all of the latest superfoods, adaptogens, elixirs, dusts and powders.
I've been sort of obsessed with learning about these natural powders ever since I felt the benefits of using Maca Root. I first tried Maca Root in my smoothie two years ago and have had it almost every day since then. If you've never tried Maca Root then you might not know how great it is but essentially it's a superfood originating from Peru that can provide an instant burst of energy, helping you to focus.
This led me to try spirulina, another superfood that is considered the most nutrient dense plant protein with 60% of the plant consisting of protein! It also has A TON of vitamins and phytonutrients so learning more about that led me to spirulina smoothies! There's so many ways to incorporate these superfoods into our daily lives, we just need to know that they exist!
Typically when I wake up I'll have a cappuccino with some energy boosting adaptogens and a little cacao for an extra pick-me-up BUT the other morning I was craving FOOD that was packed with goodness. I opened up my pantry annnnnddd...nothing. I have a billion different superfoods in my pantry but nothing actually MADE with superfoods. So, I decided to play around with some different ingredients and create a healthy, energizing, superfood snack of my own.
Try out this recipe using whatever superfood options that you love the most. For me it was spirulina, maca root, turmeric, and cacao!
Other options could be matcha, red beetroot, turmeric, or simply a chocolate or vanilla protein powder that you love!
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup pistachios
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup hemp hearts
5-6 dates (pitted)
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 teaspoons spirulina
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the dates in a food processor and blend until they form a paste.
- Add all other measured ingredients to the mixture until well combined. The mixture should stick together if you press it between your fingers. If it doesn’t hold together, slowly add 1-2 tablespoons of water and process again. If needed, add more water until the desired consistency is reached
- Sprinkle the raw cacao and turmeric over the paper-lined tray creating a thin layer.
- Roll a tablespoon of the date mixture into balls using damp hands and place on the lined tray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Enjoy!!
- I’ve tried a number of different variations but I think my favorite is this cacao energy bite, because well....chocolate...duh!
Benefits of Cacao:
+ Highest plant-based source of iron
+ 100g contains forty times the amount of antioxidants found in 100g of blueberries!
+ Mood elevator
+ Natural antidepressant properties
Benefits of Turmeric:
+ Strong antioxidant
+ Packed with powerful anti-inflammatory effects
+ Brain boosting
+ Nature’s advil
I find Amazon to be a great place to source my superfoods but I encourage you to do your research and chat to your local health food stores for more information and availability in your local area.
There are so many benefits to these nutrient-packed superfoods so expand your pantry and give something new a go!
Let me know if you enjoy my energy bite recipe and tag me @chelseyrosehealth if you showcase your creation on Instagram!