Coconut Lemon Bliss Balls
Coconut Lemon Bliss Balls
Bliss balls are the perfect bite sized snack to nibble on after working out, to give you a little energy boost during those long work afternoons or to pack in your bag when you're on the go. They're easy to make and so versatile! You can create so many different flavor combinations to keep your taste buds excited and your stomach satiated throughout the year.
What I love about this Coconut Lemon combination is how light and refreshing it tastes, and how many wonderful health benefits there are:
Cashews improve heart health, support healthy brain function, and improve digestion and nutrient absorption. They are packed with vitamins (E, K, B6), minerals (iron, magnesium, selenium, copper, phosphorus, zinc) and antioxidants. Cashews are a great source of healthy fats and fiber, which will help keep you full and satisfied for an extended period of time.
Lemons are rich in vitamin C which improves your immunity and help to protect against flu and other viruses. They have powerful antibacterial properties, help detoxify your body, boosts your metabolism and contain 22 anti-cancer compounds.
Medjool dates are a wonderful natural sweetener and white sugar alternative. They are packed with vitamins, minerals and fiber. Dates are a natural energy booster, have been proven to prevent constipation, decrease cholesterol and improve bone health. So you can satisfy your sweet tooth without worrying about your waistline expanding.
Desiccated coconut has no cholesterol or trans fats, and are rich in essential nutrients such as fiber, manganese, copper and selenium. Fiber can help prevent stroke, high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, high cholesterol, diabetes and digestive disorders. Manganese plays a role in energy metabolism, helps absorb calcium and regulates your blood sugar levels. Copper boosts metabolism and acts as an antioxidant and selenium supports your immune system and prevents free radicals from damaging your cells.
For those worried about your fat intake, as long as most of your meals are comprised of lean proteins, fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains, you can safely enjoy desiccated coconut.
Keep scrolling to find all the ingredients and simple directions to make your very own tasty and nourishing snack:
- 1.5 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1.5 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut; set aside 1/2 cup for toppings
- 1 lemon (juice and rind)
- A pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- Carefully remove all the pits from your medjool dates. Place the medjool dates and cashews in a food processor or blender and pulse on high until the mixture turns into a fine crumble.
- Wash the lemon, dry, then grate the rind into the mixture.
- Cut the lemon in half, remove the seeds and squeeze all the juice into the mixture.
- Add the desiccated coconut and a pinch of Himalayan sea salt. Blend on high until you get a soft texture that is similar to cookie dough.
- If the mixture is too moist, add more desiccated coconut and pulse again to prevent the mixture from being too soggy (if the mixture is too soggy, you'll have a harder time rolling it into balls).
- Using a spoon, scoop up the mixture and roll into a ball using both of your palms. The size is completely up to you!
- Roll the ball over a plate of desiccated coconut for extra crunch and flavor.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all the mixture is gone.
- When done, pop all the bliss balls into a container, cover and let cool in your fridge for at least an hour.
Don't forget to share your bliss balls on Instagram and tag me @pretty_balanced so that I can see your delicious creations!