All Things Probiotics
disclaimer: the below recommendations are what works for me. always consult with a physician if you have any questions or concerns.
What are Probiotics?
I get asked this question often [probably because I always talk about how much I love them]. Probiotics are live microorganisms that are the same as the microorganisms found inside your gut. It is a bacteria, but it is a “good” bacteria. Probiotics have several abilities; other than helping with your digestive system, they can impact your immune system, influence the foods you eat, improve your blood sugar, and affect your hormones that regulate your appetite and metabolic rate.
SIX COMMON SIGNS THAT YOU MAY NEED PROBIOTICS IN YOUR DIET:
- Gastrointestinal Symptoms: If you have been having experiencing symptoms of gas, bloating, diarrhea or constipation, it could be due to a lack of probiotics in your diet.
- Overweight or Trouble Losing Weight: You could be crushing your fitness routine, getting in your workouts and feeling great, but if you are not seeing your weight come back to a healthy number, it’s time for a nutrition check. One of the biggest things I notice in clients that are not paying attention to their eating habits, is that they are not seeing results.
- Anxiety or Feelings of Depression: Have you been feeling super moody or sad recently for no reason? Probiotics are anti-inflammatory, so while they are helping your gut-health in a positive way, they are also decreasing stress throughout the body, specifically in the brain!
- Eczema or Skin Rashes: Dealing with itchy rashes on your skin is no fun. Eczema is a common skin disorder that results in red, swollen and itchy skin. Probiotics protect against immune dysfunction and help reduce inflammation, which are two key factors in the development of eczema.
- Acne: Have you been dealing with breakouts or occasional acne spots here and there? Having good bacteria in the gut can help eliminate the toxins and free radicals that can damage skin and cause early signs of aging.
MY FAVORITES AND DAILY GO-TO'S:
Favorite Probiotic Drink Sources:
- Kevita (all types)
- GT’s Kombucha
- Healthade Kombucha
- Farmhouse Culture
- Clearly Kombucha
Favorite Probiotic Food Sources:
- Greek Yogurt
- String Cheese
- Green Beans
- Cottage Cheese
- Green Olives
- Dark Chocolate (#1 favorite, actually..hello, sweet tooth!)
BENEFITS OF ADDING PROBIOTICS TO YOUR DIET:
- Keeps you feeling and looking lean, helping you reach your healthy weight loss goals.
- Can help you have a regular flow (goodbye, constipation).
- Keeps your blood CLEAN.
- Can help with stress and anxiety.
- Can help alleviate migraines and/or frequent headaches.
- Normalizes your PH levels, helping to keep your skin looking fresh and healthy.
- Gives you vitamins you need to fight colds.
- CAN HELP YOU LIVE LONGER.
As listed above, probiotics can be taken in a supplement, food or beverage form. I do not take probiotics in the supplement form. If supplements are not for you, there are several yummy ways to have your source! Please keep in mind that self-treating a condition and avoiding or delaying standard care may have serious consequences, so please consult with a physician prior to beginning a new supplement or diet regimen.