Meditation for the Health-Savvy Mama!
Meditation for the Health-Savvy Mama!
If you’re like most women, you are probably busy with LIFE in general - juggling your career, mom duties and “me” time is never easy. Self-care is so important and it often gets put on the back burner because there are just a million and one things that have to get done first. With that said, I know we hear it all the time that self-love should be made a priority, so this post is just another important reminder to do just that. In my opinion, it all starts with a little more meditation in our day, which can make all the difference!
Drop and Give Me Zen.
If you’re asking yourself how on earth you can find time in your busy schedule to sit in silence, then you’re not alone. But you have to start somewhere and the key is just to start. Meditation, even just 5 minutes a day, can help you recharge, reset and help you get back to centre. Meditation will help reconnect you to your inner self and more importantly, deepen your bond with your family because you will be more grounded and less stressed at home. Not to mention, you will be way more focused on getting through a good workout with less rest periods spent on your phone.
Before going though some of the incredible benefits of meditation, let’s quickly highlight the three types of meditation.
Guided Meditation: this is lead by a series of vocal prompts. There are so many apps out there now that are amazing like Headspace and Insight Timer.
Mantra Meditation: here you would repeat mentally or verbally a phrase or affirmation. Again, if you go online you will find a plethora of mantras or feel free to make up your own. I love this one quote from Norman Vincent Peale: “I change my thoughts, I change my world.”
Relaxation Meditation: in this form of meditation you would envision each area of your body relaxing and keep your breathing as your main focus.
You can perform any of the above options sitting up with legs closed or even lying down if you wish! Whatever meditation style choose, the benefits are endless.
Namaslay Your Way Through Motherhood
As mentioned there are so many benefits to being more mindful. I could throw a laundry list of reasons why you should include more quiet time in your life, but I will focus on my top 5 picks that I believe are most relevant to the busy and health-conscious mother!
- Reduce Stress: It has been studied that meditation can actually change the structure of your brain while also helping to quiet the “self talk” or “brain chatter” that can often cause the everyday mama unnecessary anxiety.
- Manage Food Cravings: Often when we binge on food it is due to a stressful situation or when we aren’t really thinking straight. Meditation can help clear our mind to help us make better choices, even when it comes to food. A clearer and more decisive brain is also linked to increased will power. You might surprise yourself when you say no to a second helping of chocolate cake!
- Up Your Beauty Sleep: mothers need all the sleep they can get! Meditation can calm the mind and be the perfect remedy for a good night’s sleep. It can also help you to control your thoughts. Especially when following a relaxation type of meditation flow, where you allow every body part to decompress, you will find this is a great send off to dreamland!
4. Increase Your Energy: aside from the obvious, which is more sleep that will lead to more energy, there are other ways that meditation help elevate your energy levels. Forget the second cup of java because meditation can help you be more focused and has been shown to release endorphins too!
5. Improve Digestion: a lot of mamas can relate to extra bloat (and not just around the time of the month) and it can be linked to poor digestion. Since meditation involves deep breathing techniques, you’re actually helping to improve blood oxygen levels and circulation in the stomach and intestines. As a result, this assists in digestion which can help keep bloating at bay!