Side Plank & Hip Abduction
How to: Side Plank & Hip Abduction
Primary Muscles Used:Glutes, Gluteals, Hip Abductors
Exercise Families:Hip Abduction
- Start by lying lengthways on your left side along a yoga mat. Place your left forearm firmly on the floor, ensuring that your elbow is directly below your shoulder and that your forearm is parallel to (in line with) the short edge of your mat. This is your starting position.
- Bending your left knee, extend and elevate your right leg to hip height, ensuring your torso is in a straight line. Gently draw your ribs to your hips to engage your core and using your obliques, gently raise your hips off the mat and extend your right arm above your head. This is called side plank position.
- Activating your right glute, elevate your right foot towards the ceiling while keeping your leg extended. You should feel tension in your glutes as you do this.
- Lower your right leg to return to the side plank position. Repeat for the specified number of repetitions or time on each side.
Alternative Exercises for No Equipment
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.