How to: Dumbbell Punches
Exercise Families:High Intensity
- With a dumbbell in each hand, begin in a split stance with your left foot forward and your right foot back*. Raise your arms slightly and bend your elbows to hold the dumbbells at chin height in a neutral grip (palms facing inward). This is called your guard position.
- ‘Punch’ with your left arm by quickly extending your left elbow, at the same time internally rotate your left wrist so that you are now holding the dumbbell with an overhand grip (palm facing down)*.
- Bend your left elbow to bring the dumbbell back to the guard position. As the left hand returns to the starting position, ‘punch’ with your right arm by quickly extending your right elbow. At the same time internally rotate your right wrist so that you are now holding the dumbbell with an overhand grip (palm facing down).
- Bend your right elbow to return to the guard position. Repeat for the specified number of repetitions, inhaling for four to six punches and exhaling for four to six punches. *If you are left-hand dominant, place your right foot forward and punch with your right hand first.
Alternative Exercises for Shoulders
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.